About us

J D Birla Institute, formerly known as Smt. Jawahari Devi Birla Institute of Home Science, was established in 1962, satisfying a much- needed demand for scientific training in Home Science.

The ensuing 50 years have seen the Institute make pioneering strides in imparting quality and holistic education to students. While the initial years saw consistent achievements in Home Science education, the year 1997 saw the establishment of the Department of Commerce. In 2002, the Department of Business Administration was founded. In 2009 four new degree honours courses were added - B.Sc in Food Science & Nutrition Management, B.Sc in Textile Science, Clothing and Fashion Studies, B.Sc in Interior Designing and B.Sc in Human Development. Today, the Institute has a total of about 1700 students and about 70 faculty members and offers graduate and post graduate degree in seven subjects

The Institute has been re-accredited with an 'A' grade (CGPA 3.11) by NAAC in 2010 and recently the UGC in concurrence with Jadavpur University has conferred the institute with an Autonomous Status.